Install a Custom WordPress Theme
In addition to using FTP to upload a WordPress theme, you can use the WordPress Admin to upload and install your custom WordPress theme. This method can be buggy, be warned.
- Log in to your WordPress admin
- Click the Appearance tab on the left navigation menu. Several options will appear.
- Select the Themes option. You will see two tabs – you want the Install theme tab.
- Select Upload from the breadcrumb menu right below the Install theme tab.
- Browse to wherever your zipped theme is on your computer by clicking the Browse button.
- Select the file and click the Install now button.
If the WordPress theme installed successfully, you will see:
Installing Theme from uploaded file: themename.zip
Unpacking the package…
Installing the theme…
Theme installed successfully.
Click Activate if you’re ready to activate, or preview if you simply want to preview the theme.
If you are using the WordPress.com free blogging service, this does not apply to you. You do not have the ability to install a custom wordpress theme. Poke around in your help files in your dashboards to see the CSS options you can upgrade to.